New Homes Step by Step
View Process Flow Diagram
- Attend mandatory program training.
- Sign up for MN GreenStar's "Access To Experts" services if desired.
- Download most current Checklist, Manual and Documentation Folders from MN GreenStar website and set up project folders on your computer. Recommend linking to DropBox (www.dropbox.com) to share information related to project certification with your team and MN GreenStar.
- Complete required pre-project testing (radon, energy baseline), and documentation per checklist. Hire energy rater, if necessary.
- Meet with project team, set project goals, design project and fill out checklist.
- Register project with MN GreenStar and submit (or share) pre-construction documentation for review. Note: Project may proceed while pre-construction review is taking place.
- Correct/amend project scope, plan, checklist and resubmit (or share) pre-construction documents to MN GreenStar, if necessary.
- Minnesota GreenStar approves checklist, plans, and pre-tests and pre-construction pre-requisites.
- Obtain a building permit.
- Begin construction.
- Document construction process as required by checklist. Get inspection(s) by authorized third-party rater, if required per project scope and checklist selections you made during design. Take lots of photos during construction.
- Complete construction.
- Get final project inspection by authorized third-party rater, if required per project scope and checklist selections you made during design.
- Submit necessary project documentation, test results, and final checklist.
- Minnesota GreenStar reviews post-project checklist, test results, documentation, and issues project certification.
Submit Pre-Construction Documents Before Construction
MN GreenStar will review them and issue a Pre-Construction Approval letter when pre-construction documentation requirements have been satisfied.
Access To Experts
Get additional service from a MN GreenStar Technical Specialist.
For thorough plans and checklist review and assistance, MN GreenStar offers additional services.
This is a great value on any project, but especially for participants that are doing their first project. Most people do not fully realize the power of using the MN GreenStar Checklist and other MN GreenStar resources as tools during their design and construction process until they are actively in the middle of their first project. Contact MN GreenStar to request this service by calling 651-493-0294, or sending an email to
Typical services include:
--> One on one (or group) coaching regarding checklist usage. Also advanced navigation and filtering techniques and using checklist output seamlessly to save time in the design and construction process.
--> Thorough review of project plans, specifications and MN GreenStar checklist -- looking for additional opportunities for points that may have been missed. Also looking to avoid surprises by finding possible points for which the project may NOT be eligible.
--> Design advice on green building strategies applicable to your project that get you the most bang for the buck.
$150 minimum fee for up to 3 hours.
$50 per hour for additional time.
Most services range from 3 to 4 hours.